Etudier en france en école de commerce

FAQ - Your work-study programme in a Business School

Find all the information about work-study programmes at EM Normandie

What are work-study programmes?

Joining a work-study programme is a real springboard for your entry into working life. You become an employee of a company while continuing your studies, which allows you to put into practice what you learn in class, to develop expertise in a field and to develop your skills. The rhythm of the work-study programme can vary from one specialisation to another. It is generally three weeks per month in a company and one week at the School, which is ideal for getting fully involved in concrete projects and acquiring new skills.


What are the advantages of work-linked training?

Work-linked training plays a major role in your professionalisation and in your integration into the job market.

During your work-study period, you benefit from the same advantages as the other employees of your company: you get paid and are covered by social security (sickness, work accident and maternity).

Another important aspect is that your host company finances your tuition fees.


Do you offer work-study programmes at EM Normandie?

Yes, at EM Normandie Business School, work-study programmes are offered at different levels of study.

Consult the list of work-study programmes available to international students.

Special conditions apply for international residents in France wishing to join a work-study programme.


Quels sont les étudiants éligibles à l’alternance ?

If you are a French student or an international student from the EU:

  • You can sign an apprenticeship contract if you are under 30;
  • You can sign a professionalisation contract if you are under 26 years old.
  • Students over 26 years old can sign a professionalisation contract as part of their studies or as a return to training by registering with Pôle Emploi.

If you are an international student outside the EU:

  • You can sign an apprenticeship or professionalisation contract if you are under 26 years old and if you hold a valid "Student" residence permit authorising you to work.
  • If you are over 26, your residence permit does not allow you to register on the list of jobseekers to obtain the number needed to draw up a professionalisation contract. You can try to submit a file to the DIRECCTE, which will study your application and decide whether to issue a provisional work permit.


How to find a company for work-linked training?

All offers received by the work-study department are quickly published on Jobteaser EM Normandie (reserved for students of the School). Companies post Jobdatings, live chat, HR meetings, all virtual.

You can also use : 

  • Job and work-study search sites (list available on the intranet) 
  • Company websites: "recruitment" tab, including for unsolicited applications. 
  • The EM Normandie Alumni Network (see the tutorial How to get in touch with a graduate - Career Path tab on the intranet). 
  • Your physical network: family, friends, former internship tutors... 
  • Your digital network: LinkedIn, Viadeo 
  • Recruitment, employment and work-study fairs and forums


What help does the School offer in finding a work placement?

The work-study department is available to support you as much as necessary, in addition to the Career Path interventions.

In addition to the coaching, the School provides you with numerous documents and tutorials.
EM Normandie is a partner of more than 5,000 companies (SMEs and large groups) in France and abroad.

By becoming a student of the School, you will benefit from more than 70 000 internship and work-study offers exclusively proposed by companies and alumni to students of the School.


Where to do a work placement in a Business School?

Work-linked training is now widespread in all sectors of activity: commerce, banking, transport/logistics, auditing, information systems, communication, marketing, human resources, etc., as well as in companies of all sizes, whether they are SMEs or large groups.


If the company asks me questions about the sandwich course, who can help me?

You should contact a member of the alternation team so that they can quickly call the company and inform them.


When should I start my research?

As soon as possible.

The Career Path and the work-study department will help you prepare your project, CV, cover letter and interviews so that you are fully prepared to apply.

You are encouraged to apply spontaneously in the sectors of activity that you prefer and also in your network (family, friends, graduates, former internship tutors, etc.).

Set up alerts on the various job sites.

You are also invited to participate in events organised by the Company and Careers Department, whether physical or virtual (Virtual Forum during the Month of Work-Study in June). Even if you don't get the company or the job of your dreams, it's the right training for you.


Is the number of work experience places limited?

This depends on the programme you choose and your entry level. Contact the work-study department for more information.


How to prepare for an interview for a work placement?

A work experience interview is prepared in the same way as a recruitment interview.

Learn to highlight your skills, your personality, your professional and personal experience (internships, missions, summer jobs, etc.). In addition, you must show the recruiter how your profile can be of use to the company by putting your skills, your career plan and the reasons why you applied to the company into perspective.

Before coming for your interview, find out about the company: its activity, key figures, its influence, its competition, its values and its current situation.

Your presentation is essential if you want to make a good impression: appropriate clothing, a dynamic posture and impeccable language.

Bring one or more copies of your CV, a pen, a notebook and possibly your achievements.


Can I do my work experience abroad?

Apprenticeship and professionalisation contracts are governed by French labour law. It is therefore impossible to sign a contract with a foreign company.
It is possible to sign a work-study contract with a French company that has international subsidiaries or that sends you abroad on assignments.


If I manage to get a work placement abroad, how are the courses delivered?

You will need to plan for travel to and from each training session on campus.


Is it possible to combine work experience with grants?

Students enrolled in a work-study programme will no longer receive a grant. You will no longer be a student in initial training but you will still have a student card. You will still be able to benefit from housing assistance by contacting your CAF and Mobili-jeune.

Are alternating workers eligible for the activity allowance?

Work-study students may be eligible for the activity allowance under certain conditions. Find out more on the website.


What is the difference between an apprenticeship contract and a professionalisation contract?

Both contracts combine theoretical training in an educational establishment with practical training in a company.

On the other hand, the apprenticeship contract is part of initial training, whereas the professionalisation contract is part of continuing education. The types and duration of contracts, the age of eligibility and the remuneration also differ.


Who pays your tuition fees?

All EM Normandie's work-study programmes are eligible for an apprenticeship contract and/or a professional training contract.

The training is paid for in all cases by the company, the course is the same. There is a slight difference in salary.

For the company, the main difference lies in the way your training is financed:

  • In an apprenticeship contract, the training is financed via an OPCO* on the basis of a contract cost.
  • In a professionalisation contract, the training is financed via an OPCO* on the basis of an hourly rate.

*OPCO: organisation to which the company pays the annual professional training contribution. 

Learn more about funding your studies


What is the salary for work-linked training?  

On a work-study programme, you will be paid according to your age, the programme chosen and the type of contract (vocational training contract or apprenticeship contract).

Learn about the amounts.


What are my rights and duties as an employee?  

You become a part-time employee of the company on a fixed-term contract (or even a permanent contract). Therefore, you have the same rights and duties as any other employee of the company.

This means that you benefit from the same rules as any other employee of the company regarding holidays and access to the various existing benefits (luncheon vouchers, transport cards, CE, RTT, etc.).

You also have the same obligations such as punctuality, respect for the rules, and attendance, especially when you are in class at EM Normandie. You would not dream of being absent or late to work, the same must be true at EM Normandie.

Even when you are in class, you are an employee, so it is not allowed to be late or absent from class unless you are off work and have an official work permit from your doctor or the agreement of your tutor.


Do I have to keep the student mutual insurance?  

No, your part-time employment gives you access to the company's mutual insurance scheme. You can also ask to be attached to your parents' mutual insurance scheme.


Is it possible to break a work-linked training contract?   

You can break your contract unilaterally and without constraints during:

  • The first month (trial period) of your professionalisation contract.
  • The first 45 days of work in the company (probationary period) of your apprenticeship contract.

After that, the contract can be terminated by means of a conventional termination agreement with the agreement of the student and the company.

The work-study department will assist you and must be notified before any such action is taken.

How to contact the work-study team?  

By phone: 08 05 14 50 09 (no surcharge) 
By email: alternance @ 

For students of the School, you can make an appointment from JobTeaser, under Appointments.


How can I get more information about a course or the paperwork (programme, courses)?

You can contact the Hub: lehub @

Information about work-study at EM Normandie